Friday, February 26, 2010

Hay Kay

Ok so now I begin my first ever blog so that everyone I know can check in and make sure I'm alive once in a while.

I flew out from snowy old England on the 13th of Febuary and arrived in misty young Hong Kong 11 hours later. It was my first time in Asia and that place is crazy! It is a strange place where all everyone speaks Cantonese, eats noodles and live in tiny rooms in huge tower blocks. And yet all the signs were also in English, there are Pizza Huts and 7/11's everywhere and they drive on the left.


As you can see above, I wasn't there long but I made a big enough impression to earn my name up in lights.

There were so many markets all run by local Hong Kongites selling cheap electrical goods, toys, jewelery, clothes, shoes and general tat. Being with Emma and Beck we obviously spent a lot of the time shopping, surprise surprise, but I also took advantage of the markets buying myself some fake slip on Vans that are just like the real thing.

The shopping wasn't only limited to these markets as there were hundreds of up market shopping malls selling American and European brands. Again I took advantage of this buying myself the camera I will be using to document the trip. It is easy to see why Hong Kong is often referred to as the shopping capital of the world.


There were neon signs and huge billboards everywhere. As Emma pointed out it often looked just like the Channel 4 ident you see before a TV show starts. If you look on my Facebook pictures I also included the biggest billboards of both Micheal Owen and Ryan Giggs advertising watches. I can't imagine that happening in Britain!

It was an amazing experience and it was really cool to see what felt like to me as half China, half Britain. but after a week we parted ways and I flew on to Melbourne where I am now writing this from my new room. It's 5:10pm here but in England it's 7:10am so I guess it will be at least few hours before any of you read this.

Keep in touch guys.

My new email is: nwheeler@deakin.edu.au

My address is :
H1-05
Burwood Student Village
Deakin University
Burwood
Victoria 3125
Australia

I will update about life at Deakin soon but for now Hong Kong has worn me out. Just know apart from the insane sun burning through the hole in the ozone layer above me I am settling in really well and having a lot of fun.

Check in soon!
xx

7 comments:

  1. Me and Emma shopping? Psha! I had a great time with you guys in HK. Missing you lots and glad to see you're avin a good time, innit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if I lived in Hong Kong, I'd wanna be called a Hong Konger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dale i think ur right
    that is a much coller name than hong kongite

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hong Konger sounds like a cocktail, like a proper strong one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So jealous of you in oz! Can't wait to read something I don't already know about, so get round to it haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you've arrived safely and having fun. Keep up with the surfing because I want lessons when i come out to see you in the summer. My friend Elaine has invited me to stay with her and Sydney to, so we can have a tour with Beck perhaps. Just make sure you miss me loads and steer clear of that hole in the ozone layer or get yourself some factor 30.
    M xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete